The Famous Mayonnaise Hair Treatment – Does It Really Work?
The famous mayonnaise hair treatment is well-known, but many of us find ourselves wondering if it actually works. I tried out this theory because my aunt pointed out to me how dead my hair was and suggested to me I try treating my hair with mayo. To give you some background, I have colored and bleached my hair numerous times (what was I thinking?). Needless to say, I needed a miracle to help restore the moisture and repair the damage that the chemicals did to my hair.
I tried Moroccan oil, Argon oil, excessive amounts of conditioner, nothing seemed to be working. It seemed as though some of the over the counter products have been causing more damage than good because of the low quality ingredients. The last think I wanted to do was cut more than 2 inches off. With such curly hair, I need the weight to pull the curls down and prevent the emergence of an afro.
Finally, I took the advice from my aunt and tried the mayonnaise hair treatment. The results were unpredictable, I have never felt my hair so soft and full of life. This treatment is quite literally, a miracle worker.
- Purchase some mayo. The brand doesn’t matter! But don’t use low-fat mayo, your hair needs all the fat it can get.
- Prepare your hair by rubbing it with some warm water, do not have it soaking wet.
- Apply the mayo by rubbing it through your hair. The more, the merrier! I used about half a bottle.
- Wrap your head of hair with a plastic bag, a shower cap works to.
- Heat the bag with a blow dryer for about five minutes. The heat will open the pores and allows the treatment to penetrate strands further.
- Let the treatment sit on the hair for at least more than one hour. You can let it sit longer/shorter depending the amount of damage to your hair.
- Wash the mayo out in the shower. You may need to rinse and shampoo a few times before you are able to get it all out.
Overall, the mayonnaise treatment restored moisture and vitality to my strands without the cost of a salon! This treatment should be done monthly!
Try it out and let us know your experiences with this cheap alternative in the comments!